Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Writing on Reading

I've been giving a lot of thought to reading and writing lately. One thing on my mind has been the struggle to drive the book-in-a-bag program. B.I.B. has been a lot LESS successful than I envisioned and I'm trying to figure out how to make it better. From a teacher's perspective, it seems like a perfect assignment. However, after about 3 months, the number of students not completing their weekly worksheet is troubling. And I think the entire fourth grade teaching team is asking, "Is this really worth it?"

How could this program be improved? I feel the worksheet is quite simple, the books of high quality, and the time and effort requirements are not overwhelming. How am I missing the mark? Is it because I started it mid-year? That's the only thing I can think of.

If you have any thoughts on the matter, I encourage you to email me or (even better as it would create a type of "conversation" among us) leave a comment by clicking on the "comments" link at the end of this post. Just know that when you do that, your comment can be viewed by anyone! I look forward to hearing from you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BIB is a great idea. Especially since this is something that will be carried over into the summer with all of our students K-4. This is a program that no matter what time of year it starts, it is a benefit for all of our children. They need to understand that there is not much (if anything) in life that they can do with out having to read and understand what they are reading. Maybe some students could have the same book and book clubs could be created which would have to be put on podcast so parents can hear the conversation about books as well. When do they share what they are reading? Maybe a morning meeting could be dedicated to sharing or recommending a book to the class by their peers. These are just some ideas.

Ben Curran said...

Thanks for your comment. The students and families that have committed to the program have made tremendous gains! That's why I'm dedicated to its success. I really like your ideas, and as we move forward I'll definitely use them (especially the morning meeting idea). I'd also love to get more parents involved during reading workshop time...pulling kids out and reading BIB books with them..hint, hint :)!