Thursday, May 5, 2011

Weekend Update and Other Announcements

I might have set a new record for days without blogging! Almost two weeks! So sorry...on to the news:


  • First, a huge thank you to Ms. Wyckoff and Ms. Cooper for chaperoning our DIA trip. I think it was a really good experience. The DIA is one of my favorite places in the city. I was so glad to be able to share it with the kids. They really seemed to like it a lot. We're hard at work revising our poems. The final drafts of them are due next Thursday. Which brings me to...
  • Milestone 3 is due next Thursday, the 12th. For this milestone, students must have completed three things: 1. Their DIA poems must be typed into Google Docs. 2. Their storyboard for their Newbery project must be completed and turned in.  3. Their script for their Newbery project must be completed and turned in. Milestone 4 will be due Wednesday, May 25th. For Milestone 4, students must turn in their completed Interest Project (this can be a board, digital presentation, etc.) AND must have their completed Exhibition Organizer turned in. The Organizer will start getting filled out in school next week. On Monday of next week, you'll receive a checklist for the Exhibition and a sign up sheet for appointment times.
  • The last round of MAP testing starts Friday, May 6. We'll take a test in Reading, Language, and Math again. I'm looking forward to analyzing this data to help me set goals for next year. As their teacher, I know they've all learned so much this year. It will be fun to have test data that supports that conclusion
  • The amount of things we have to do before June 17 is mind-boggling. Just so you know, I work until the final buzzer, and I expect students to do the same. May and June are not times for coasting to the finish line. I'll drop the sports metaphors and try to say it clearly--we'll be working hard every minute of every day until the end of school. We have lots to do. Personally, I think the last two months are the time when you have to work harder than you have all year. And that's what I intend for us to do.
  • Mark Your Calendars...the first annual "Celebration of the Arts @ UPA" will be held Wednesday, May 18 from 5:00-7:00. It will feature an art show, music performances, and a student writing showcase (including a Poetry Cafe...organized by guess who!). Oh and also good food and great giveaways. I hope you can make it!
  • Mark Your Calendars again...our fourth grade end-of-the-year field trip will be to the Detroit Zoo. Fourth graders learn about living organisms in science class and this trip will help us in that pursuit. Cost has not been finalized yet, but I expect it to be $5-7. Chaperones will be needed, so please contact me if you are interested. The date for the trip is Tuesday, May 31.

Phew! That was a lot. That's what I get for not blogging often enough. More soon.

No comments: