Monday, September 29, 2008

It's Notebook Week!



Today in writing workshop, we began using an important tool, our writing notebooks. I have deemed this week Notebook Week because every day we'll be learning how to add to our notebooks.

The writing notebook is used by all kinds of authors, from amateurs and professionals. It's a place for starting ideas or writing complete stories. It can be used to write down anything, from lists to dreams. Or it can be a place to store found treasures, like words or pictures from magazines. We'll be using them all year for writing workshop.

To help make them more special to students, we'll be decorating them on Wednesday. I am asking students to bring in anything (pretty papers, pictures, photos, stickers, etc) they want to glue on to the cover.

Another thing we talked about today is having a notebook small enough to carry around with you at all times. I showed them one I picked up at KMart for 79 cents this weekend. It's a mini composition book like the ones pictured above, measuring about 3 inches by 4 inches. It fits right in my pocket. I'd love to see them become so interested in and dedicated to the craft of writing that they carry one with them, too. I'm not requiring students to have one but I'm strongly recommending it. Anything that's pocket-sized will do.

So encourage your child's writing by encouraging them to write down all their ideas, stories, thoughts, hopes and dreams. I'm looking forward to the writing journey we'll be taking this year.


A note went home today with some of this info, as well as some other stuff. Be sure to ask your child about it. And be sure to check out the website for information about volunteering in the classroom.

No comments: