Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Orpheus and the Underworld

"Orpheus" by Odilon Redon

We read one of my favorite myths today, "Orpheus and Eurydice." I recommend watching this video with your child and having them explain the story to you. We're working on the skills of summarizing and retelling during this mythology unit, so this is a good way to make sure they grasp these concepts.

And, if you or your child want to have a little fun, try this game, Rockabye Cerberus. It's a good companion to the Orpheus myth.

The kids seem to be enjoying these stories and I'm glad, because I like them, too. I think their interest level is very high, and that will help with the quality of their final projects. My favorite comment came from Angela, who asked, "Why are all these myths about love?" Keep in mind, we've only read two. But, still, I wasn't sure how to answer! I'm still having trouble figuring out how to explain the other fact they learned that troubles them--that the god Zeus married his sister. Nothing gets past these kids. They are pretty sharp!

No comments: