Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Necessary Evil

Okay, let me start by saying I'm a father of three. I understand that these kids soak up money like it was their job. That being said, this is why I hate writing this post. As a parent, I know that money is hard to come by. As a teacher, I know that I have to ask for it in order for some things to happen. And the end of the year is when I have to come asking you to pay the piper.

Here are some things we'll be needing money for in the next few weeks (and when we'll be needing it).

1. Detroit Poetry Tour--We're taking a DDOT bus downtown and riding the People Mover. The hope is to find some inspiration for poems about our city. There aren't that many poems out there about Detroit. I want my students to create some. Date of trip: May 14. Cost: $4 A bag lunch will also be required for all students! (Money needed by Monday, May 10).

2. Carnival Basket--It's carnival time again. Each class is creating a basket for a special raffle. Please, if you can, donate $2-3 for this. I'll handle the shopping. This raffle always earns a lot of money for the school. I hope you can help out.

3. Commencement Morning Breakfast---I don't have all the details yet, but I do know the cost will be about $10. This will cover one student and two parents for a breakfast before the Fifth Grade Promotion Ceremony on June 18. Money will be due in early June.

For now, that's it. I withhold the right to beg for more cash as things come up. :)

No comments: