Sunday, May 2, 2010

Time Management

I just realized it's been over 10 days since my last blog post. This is because I haven't been managing my time as well as I should. I've been focused on my work at school and haven't taken the time to keep parents up to date.

So, I understand as well as anyone that not everyone is perfect when it comes to using time wisely. Especially 10 and 11 year-olds. I'm trying to help them stay on track as much as possible. But just as we adults need a little help from time to time, so do the children.

Please keep communicating with your child about how they're doing with their progress on the Gateway projects. Also, please keep communicating (in other words "bugging them") about their homework. We have a lot going on, and only about 6 weeks until Exhibition Week. They need my help...and yours. I need your help, too.

Here are three things you can follow up on at home to make sure your child is working on what they're supposed to be:

  1. AUTHOR STUDY--Are their three books completed? Have they filled out a Story Map for each book? Have they written a paragraph summary of each? All of these things should be done by now.
  2. COLLEGE POSTER--Have they typed their essay (preferably on Google Docs)? Have they typed their "Fast Facts?" (Also on Google Docs) Have you purchased a posterboard? Posters are due May 20!
  3. POETRY BOOK--Have they written all the required poems? (By now, they should have all of them done, except the "Detroit Poetry Tour Poems," which we'll be writing during the second and third weeks of May) Have they typed all these poems? (Again, Google Docs is the choice for typing) Have they created a colorful, illustrated title page? This project is my "baby," and we've been working on it all year, so I really want them to shine on this one
  4. HOMEWORK--Are they doing their Study Links? By the end of May, they should have 32 out of 40 done. Are they doing their POWs?
Okay, that was four. This Exhibition is so important, I can't possibly limit myself to three things!

This week, we'll continue working on all ongoing projects and we'll begin working on the final parts of the Mythology Project. We'll also introduce the Picture Book project, which will be something that will mainly be worked on at home. Stay tuned for (more frequent) updates.

No comments: