Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Edmodo Experiment

Edmodo is a special networking site designed for teachers and students. Basically, it creates a "facebook-like" environment (minus the profile pictures, the photo albums, the silly games, and the friends from junior high you have no interest in talking to) for teachers to post assignments, files, and discussion questions. However, it's completely secure. It is only used for people in the class to interact with each other, not with the outside world.

I learned about it from some literacy training that the staff attended in August. We plan on using it for students to post writing and reading assignments. Today we logged onto it for the first time and I let the students explore. I created a group called "friends" for them to interact with each other and get the hang of things before we start using it for our real work. I even gave them some an extra credit assignment tonight--post an answer to my question, "What did you have for dinner?" There's been a lot of activity already tonight.

Using the login information I sent home today, I encourage you to have your child give you a tour of the site so you can see how it works. The way they're using it now seems a bit silly, I know. But, trust me, it has lots of educational uses.

As always, if you have any questions, please let me know.

1 comment:

Toyia Newman-Neal said...

Hi Mr. CurranI'm really excited about this school year and the way you're integrating technology intothe learning process. This totally reminds me of an ONLINE CLASS..guess you're preparing students for the future...thanks. Armani is equally excited, he's showed me his Edmoto page and things he's posted. I'm not sure I have his user name and password for Edmoto though...is there any way you can get that to me...sorry if it's been given and I missed it. Thanks Mrs. Newman-Neal